STEM Student Application
Select THIS LINK to learn even more about the SMMS STEM program.
....and.... THIS LINK to see our STEM program at work this school year.
CONGRATULATIONS to the faculty staff and students at SMMS for achieving AdvancED STEM Program Certification!! Everyone's hard work has certainly been rewarded!
STEM integrates the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics through relevant tasks that promote college and career readiness. In conjunction with Georgia’s STEM goals, Stone Mountain Middle School strives to advance student achievement with the STEM curriculum.
GEORGIA STEM GOALS
· Empower students to become innovators and technologically proficient problem solvers
· Ensure that all students have access to the appropriate technology conducive to enhancing their learning experiences both in and outside the traditional classroom
· Increase student 21st century skills and technological literacy by providing students with opportunities to use the technical tools of the STEM industry
· Guide community understanding of the importance of STEM education and build capacity to sustain a viable STEM educational program to prepare students for work and life in the 21st century
· Increase Georgia’s capacity to provide high quality K-12 STEM professional learning opportunities
· Nurture partnerships that allow schools and the business sector to join efforts to improve students’ STEM-career opportunities
· Increase the number of students pursuing careers in STEM-related fields and/or post-secondary STEM related education/training
STONE MOUNTAIN MIDDLE SCHOOL STEM GOALS
· Promote connections among STEM disciplines through authentic project-based lessons
· Facilitate students’ use of the engineering design process in order to solve real-world problems
· Stimulate students’ interest in careers emphasizing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines
· Develop students’ creativity, communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and comprehension skills
· Cultivate community, business, and parent partnerships that support students’ participation in the STEM program and pursuit of STEM careers
STEM PROGRAM EXPECTATIONS
The objective of the STEM program is to prepare students for careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The program emphasizes project-based learning that leads to real-world solutions. We are seeking students who are passionate about science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Students should demonstrate proficiency in mathematics and science. Also, students must be willing to work collaboratively with their peers on group projects featuring real-world problems. Participation in these group projects will occur within STEM team core classes as well as engineering connections classes. In addition, students are encouraged to participate in various STEM-related competitions throughout the school year. Students are expected to maintain a “B” average or higher.
For more information, download our STEM Brochure