Stone Mountain Middle School will provide a positive environment emphasizing student achievement and life-long learning
Stone Mountain Middle School will demonstrate academic excellence every day and develop contributing members of the community
Stone Mountain Middle School was the first school in the DeKalb County School System to pilot the middle school concept. The middle grades philosophy centers around a team approach, and each student is part of a team. Each team has four core teachers who teach English/Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Four classes of students make up a team and circulate through the same core teachers. Besides the four core disciplines, Stone Mountain Middle School offers Band, Spanish and P.E. Through the exploratory enrichment blocks, students can experience Art, Chorus, Business Applications, and Technology.
Stone Mountain Middle School is situated in a charming suburban community just east of metro Atlanta. The unique and impressive Stone Mountain creates a scenic background to our school campus.
The faculty of Stone Mountain is multicultural, with widely diverse interests. Our student population is also diverse, representing twenty countries. In an effort to give our students varied experiences to grow and learn, we offer numerous clubs and school enrichment activities. To promote increased engagement and achievement in mathematics and science, Stone Mountain Middle School launched its STEM Program in sixth grade during the 2013-2014 school year. The goal was to expose students to educational and career choices in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). In doing so, Stone Mountain Middle School focused on project-based learning (PBL) which leads to real-life solutions.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- Stone Mountain Middle School earned the prestigious AdvancED STEM Program Certification - 2016
- 1st Place winner in the DeKalb County Solicitor-General Office Essay Contest - 2016
- SMMS Teacher presented at the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA) International Conference in Washington, DC and Dallas, TX - 2016, 2017
- SMMS Teacher presented at the Georgia Tech Research Institute’s Educator Showcase in Atlanta, GA - 2016, 2017
- SMMS Teacher presented at the Georgia STEM Forum in Athens, GA - 2016
- SMMS Media Specialist awarded DeKalb County School District’s Media Specialist of the Year - 2017
- 4th Place Winner in DeKalb County School District Academic Bowl - 2016
- 1st Place in 2015 Atlanta Regional SeaPerch Challenge (underwater robotics); advanced to the National Challenge and competed in Boston, MA - 2015
- 1st Place, 2nd Place, and 3rd Place at the 2016 Atlanta Regional Challenge (underwaterrobotics); advanced to the National Challenge and competed in Baton Rouge, LA - 2016
- 1st Place winner in the DeKalb County Technology Fair for “Innovative Approach to Device Modification”; advanced to the State Technology Fair in Macon, GA - 2016
- 1st Place winner “Best Robot Performance” in First LEGO League Regional Qualifier atGA TSA Leadership Conference in Jekyll Island - 2016